By order of July 25, 1919, the formation of the 2nd Officer General Markov Regiment began. It was finally formed on August 27, 1919 in Kharkov on the basis of the 4th and Reserve Battalions and officer personnel of the 7th Company of the 1st Markov Regiment.
By order of the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the South of Russia of October 27, 1919, the 1st Infantry Division, which included all three Markov regiments, was divided into Kornilov Shock and Officer General Markov Infantry Divisions. In addition to the Markov regiments, the Artillery General Markov Brigade formed on October 28, 1919 on the basis of the 1st Artillery Brigade, as well as the 1st Separate Engineering General Markov Company, became part of the formed division. In this composition, the division was part of the 1st Army Corps.
On December 31, 1919, during the retreat of the Armed Forces of the South of Russia, the Markov Division in the Donbass was encircled in the village of Alekseevo-Leonovo and lost two-thirds of the personnel. After the restoration of its strength, in January 1920, it successfully held the defense south of Rostov-on-Don. But during the retreat of Denikin's army deep into the Kuban, he was defeated again on February 29 in the battle near the village of Olginskaya, after which on March 1 the division was reorganized into the Officer General Markov regiment. The artillery brigade was reduced to the Separate Artillery General Markov Division, the horse-drawn hundreds – to the Horse Division.
After the evacuation of Markov units from Novorossiysk to Crimea, on March 26, 1920, the division was restored. In Crimea, it became part of the formed 1st Army Corps.
On May 11, 1920, after the renaming of the Armed Forces of the South of Russia by General Peter Wrangel to the Russian Army, the Officer General Markov Division was renamed the General Markov Infantry Division (in accordance with this renaming, the regiments of the division were also called "infantry"). As part of the 1st Army Corps, the Markov Division participated in battles in Northern Tavria and the Zadniprovsky operation.
In early November 1920, the division, along with other parts of the Russian army, was evacuated from Crimea.