The order on the formation of the Novogrudok Rifle Regiment was issued on July 10, 1919. The regiment was formed in the city of Lida on the basis of the reserve battalion of the Lithuanian-Belarusian division of the Polish army stationed in Volkovysk.
On September 25, 1919, the regiment underwent its baptism of fire in battles with the Red Army near the village of Filipovichi.
On December 18, 1919, the regiment arrived in Bobruisk, where the next day the front commander, General Sheptytsky, presented the regiment commander with the banner presented by the Vilnius Union of Women of the Borderlands "Pogon".
On December 25, 1919, in the town of Kublich, the regiment entered the 2nd brigade of the Lithuanian-Belarusian division.
Winter 1919-1920 the regiment spent at the front. On June 20, 1920, defending a sector on the Chernik River, the regiment withstood the attack of the superior forces of the Red Army.
On July 5, 1920, in Zarzhechek, the 3rd battalion was surrounded by Bolshevik cavalry and destroyed. The surviving servicemen became part of the 1st and 2nd battalions.
In the last decade of July 1920, the marching battalion from Slonim under the command of Captain Jozef Kostko was included in the regiment as the 3rd battalion.
The regiment took part in the Battle of Warsaw.
The regiment took part in the expedition of General Zheligovsky to Vilnius. The regiment was on the front line, where it repelled the constant attacks of the Lithuanians.