The GAZ-M20 "Pobeda" (Russian: ГАЗ-М20 Победа; Победа means "Victory") was a passenger car produced in the Soviet Union by GAZ from 1946 until 1958. It was also licensed to Polish Fabryka Samochodów Osobowych.
The first Pobeda was developed in the Soviet Union under chief engineer Andrei A. Liphart. "Pobeda" means "victory"; and the name was chosen because the model's first tests were done in 1943 at Gorky Avto Zavod (GAZ, "Gorky Car Plant"), when victory in World War II began to seem likely. The plant was later heavily bombarded, but work was unaffected. The first prototype was ready on November 6, 1944, and after it gained approval the first production model rolled off the assembly line on June 21, 1946. The car was a successful export for the USSR, and the design was licensed to the Polish FSO factory in Warsaw, where it was built as the FSO Warszawa beginning in 1951. A few were assembled in Pyongyang, North Korea.
Cars "Pobeda" began to be used in taxi service in 1946 and quickly won the love of the drivers for ruggedness, performance and driving dynamics and great comfort for those times.
In 1948, the leadership of Moscow City Council has decided on a uniform coloring of "Pobeda" the taxi - a light top, black bottom, black checkers are on the sides of the body and the identification light signal is "free" green. The first taxi with green light came out of the gate of the 5th taxis, which opened in Moscow on September 4, 1947
In 1949 has been launched mass production of a special version for a taxi - GAZ-M20A. They were released 37 492 pieces. Cars later editions were no longer a single light-gray color, and more diverse - beige, green, etc.
Until 1956 Moscow taxi station was staffed by only cars "Pobeda" and ZIS-110 (in 1956 - as "Moskvich-402" and ZiM). Latest taxi "Pobeda" in Moscow were decommissioned in 1962.