The ASU-85 (Russian: Àâèàäåñàíòíàÿ ñàìîõîäíàÿ óñòàíîâêà, ÀÑÓ-85, Aviadesantnaya Samokhodnaya Ustanovka, 'airborne self-propelled mount') is a soviet-designed airborne self-propelled gun of the Cold War Era. From 1959 it replaced the open-topped ASU-57 in service but was in its turn replaced by the BMD-1 from 1969.
The Soviet Airborne Forces used the ASU-85 in airborne operations. Its primary role was light infantry support or assault, with limited anti-tank capability. Each Airborne Division had one assault gun battalion with 31 ASU-85. The Polish 6th Pomeranian Airborne Division (Polish: 6 Pomorska Dywizja Powietrzno-Desantowa) had an equal number.
The ASU-85 became possible with the introduction of the Mi-6 and Mi-10 helicopters and high-capacity multi-chute and retro-rocket systems for fixed wing-drops. It was first observed by NATO in 1962, and was widely used by Soviet and Polish airborne units.
This war machine was involved in the events of the "Prague Spring" in 1968, participated in the "Six-Day War" (1967). These self-propelled guns were used by Soviet airborne troops in the initial stage of the war in the Soviet-Afghan war.
ATTENTION! This model without the original packaging. Bought from a private collection. Damage has not.