The Tank, Infantry, Mk IV (A22) was a heavy British infantry tank used in the Second World War, best known for its heavy armour, large longitudinal chassis with all-around tracks with multiple bogies, and its use as the basis of many specialist vehicles. It was one of the heaviest Allied tanks of the war.
The Churchill was used by British and Commonwealth forces in North Africa, Italy and North-West Europe. In addition, many were supplied to the USSR and used on the Eastern Front.
The Soviet Union was sent a total of 301 Churchill Mk III and Mk IV types as part of the Lend-Lease programme. Forty-three were lost en route on the Arctic Convoys.
Churchills took part in the destruction of German group at Stalingrad, in the battles of breaking the blockade of Leningrad,at the Battle of Prokhorovka (Kursk) in 1943 with the 5th Guards Tank Brigade.