The T-40 amphibious scout tank was an amphibious light tank used by the Soviet Union during World War II.
The T-40 was an improvement over the T-37 and T-38 in several respects. The coil-spring suspension of the T-38 was replaced by a modern torsion-bar suspension with four pairs of road wheels. The boat-shaped hull was entirely welded, in contrast to the riveted hulls of the T-37 and T-38. The welded, conical turret shape improved protection, although the armor was still very thin. Armament was a 12.7mm DShK heavy machine gun, a much more potent weapon than the 7.62mm DT machine gun mounted on the T-38.
Water propulsion was via a small propeller mounted at the rear of the hull. The propeller was set into an indent in the hull rear. Buoyancy was provided by the large boat-shaped hull.
The T-40 entered production just prior to the outbreak of war, and was intended to equip reconnaissance units. Under the stress of war, production of the T-40 was halted in favor of the T-60. Thus only 222 T-40s were issued.
The T-40 was widely photographed at the time of Operation Barbarossa and also during the defence of Moscow. The type was very rarely seen after the end of 1941. Some T-40 remained in service as late 1946 in school units.
ATTENTION! This model without the original packaging. Bought from a private collection. Damage has not.