The Bedford QLT (the troop carrier) was in production from 1941 to 1945. Approximately 52,250 were produced in total.
The QLT was Bedford’s troop transport variant of their highly successful 3-ton 4X4 lorry. The T had the same wheelbase as the D variant but the T chassis was extended at the rear by 3 feet 5 inches. The first panels on each side at the front were doors that opened inward and each one had a folding seat attached inside. The rear had two doors that swung outward and the right one had an exterior attachment to carry a bicycle. There were padded bench seats down each side and they could be folded flush with the sides. There was a single bench seat down the middle of the floor. These seat backs alternated facing left then right and this bench could be removed for more space. There was a white line painted on the inside of both side walls that read "Load Forward of Line". This was needed in case the lorry was being used to transport heavy loads of cargo. With the chassis being extended 3 feet 5 inches heavy loads placed beyond this line towards the rear could lift the front wheels off the ground or just make the front end light and impossible to steer. This seating arrangement made it possible to accommodate up to 29 soldiers plus a driver and one other person in the cab. The troop compartment had a canvas cover that could be rolled up on the sides. There were over 2,500 QLT’s manufactured. The QLT was commonly called the "Drooper".