III Polish Corps
In an even more difficult position - and with very slow progress - was the formation of the Polish troops in Ukraine. Volunteers arriving here first went to the organization centres in Lutsk, Równe (Rivne), Sarnach (Sarny), Kremenets, Zasiaw, Korostein, Starokonstantynov, Płoskirow, Bar and Kamieniec Podolski, all chosen by General Michaelis. Organizational actions were also taken in Kiev, where General Michaelis initially stayed. Until mid-January 1918 the volunteers, who showed up at the designated centers, were made into the nucleus of several sub-units of infantry, cavalry, artillery, supply train, and two medical units. These sub-units amounted to approximately 3.000 officers, non-commissioned officers and privates. The influx of volunteers disappointed the expectations of General Michaelis. It did not yield the anticipated results to start allocation of resources and weapons, which was the goal for the corps on the South-West Front, as the soldiers committees were in opposition and hindered the project.
The Soviet-Ukrainian military actions also began to have a significant impact on the progress of the organizational work of General Michaelis.
After the occupation of Kiev by the Soviet army, which took place February 8, 1918, General Michaelis with his staff moved to Zhitomir, where on 15 February he undertook to defend the property of some Polish landowners in Ukraine.
He ordered and organized the concentration of troops already in the areas of Antonin and Winnicy and issued orders for setting up the III Polish Corps.
On 4 March 1918 the political head of the III Polish Corps, lieutenant Wladyslaw Raczkiewicz, who acted on behalf of and under the authority of the Regency Council in Warsaw, turned up. He immediately decided to remove the inefficiency among the commanders in Michaelis' corps and appointed in his place General Alexander Osinski. However, the real commander of the III Corps was a former officer of the Polish Legions, Captain Przemyslaw Barthel de Weydenthal, who was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel and Chief of Staff by General Osinski. The changes made since 7 April 1918 were favorable, but came too late, since General Michaelis already had managed to get the units of the III Polish Corps entangled in the agrarian revolution in Ukraine. The Poles became involved in fierce fightings with the Ukrainian peasants and soon faced utter destruction, which meant that they had to rely on mercy from the Austrian-Hungarian troops. The headquarters of the corps were deployed in the regions of Pikow, Janow and Chmielnik - and duly interned. Then the command of the forces, the so-called composite or Light Brigade, III Polish Corps, numbering about 2,000 men, mainly cavalry units, was taken over by Colonel Jules Rómmel. On the night between 9 -10 June 1918 the Light Brigade units were disarmed. In this way, they shared the fate of the sub-units organized in Odessa by Captain Stanislaus Skrzynski, about 1,000 soldiers, who were disarmed on 20 April.